Southeast corner of Main and Sutter Streets, Stockton, CA
Charles Dallas, (1814-1883) was born in Scotland, and came to California and Stockton overland in 1849 with his wife and six children. He had a livery stable on Weber Avenue, south side, around the corner from San Joaquin. He sold the stable to George Fox. The year after he came to Stockton, he built a plain one-and-a-half story house on the southeast corner of Main and Sutter. He sold the little red house in 1861 when he moved to Merced County and became a prosperous farmer.
In 1870 the old house was torn down and a two story brick building was built on the site. The second story was known as the Mozart Hall, the social center of the city for twenty years.
The assembly hall was used for balls, parties, musicales, and all popular social functions. All the high-toned balls and parties were held in the hall.
STOCKTON AREA PIONEERS - 1850-1900 By Glenn A. Kennedy, Privately Printed, 1992
Although no record has been found, it is likely that Wilde stayed over night in Stockton, rather than return to his base in San Francisco.
This assumption is based on the difficulties of catching the late night train to Oakland and the ferry boat to San Francisco, plus the fact that Wilde gave an interview in Stockton (see below).
Wilde on Poetry
Stockton Herald, April 5, 1882, 3